This overnight breakfast casserole is perfect for the holidays when you have guests over, or even just when you need a hearty breakfast prepared and ready to go. It’s simple, easy and totally delicious!
Breakfast foods are some of my favorites. You can eat them for breakfast, lunch or even dinner and you won’t have any complaints at my place! You need to try some more of my favorites like these Amazing breakfast enchiladasthese delicious Denver Omelet Breakfast Muffinswhere Amazing Blueberry Buttermilk Breakfast Cake!
Overnight Slow Cooker Breakfast Casserole Recipe
Ok, ok…raise your hand if you like slow cooker recipes. And what about the breakfast? Yes, combine these two to make this simple and incredibly delicious breakfast casserole. The slow cooker does all the work for you while you sleep so you can actually wake up and enjoy breakfast With your family! It’s so hearty and delicious because it’s packed with eggs, bacon, and so many flavors.
This particular breakfast casserole recipe is a hit with us because the kids love it as is. I don’t need to modify it or remove some vegetables. Everything in it has been approved by my kids and I approve of it because it’s so much healthier than sugary cereals (don’t get me wrong, those belong in our house too). I love cooking it the night before a holiday so we can wake up and eat it together, but I don’t need to spend time cooking. It’s a win-win!
Overnight Breakfast Casserole Ingredients
You probably already have all of these ingredients in your kitchen and pantry, so there’s no excuse not to cook! See the recipe card at the bottom of the article for all the exact ingredient measurements.
- Bacon: I like to cook my bacon very crispy for this recipe because it softens in the pan.
- Onion: This will add lots of flavor to the base of the casserole.
- Green pepper: Green pepper adds flavor and texture. I cut it very small so my kids won’t notice!
- Clove garlic: You can use fresh garlic cloves or you can use minced garlic. ½ teaspoon equals approximately 1 clove of garlic.
- Frozen hash browns: It’s so easy! You don’t need fresh potatoes, just use a bag of frozen hash browns!
- cheddar cheese: You can use any cheese you like but I prefer shredded cheddar cheese.
- Eggs: I have used large eggs every time I cook.
- Whole milk: The milk helps to bind the casserole.
- Salt and pepper: These will enhance all the flavors of the casserole!
- Green onion: This is optional, but I think garnishing the top adds a delicious burst of flavor.
Let’s make a Casserole!
This overnight breakfast casserole is just a few steps away. This is a great recipe, especially if you have those busy, rushed mornings like we do back home!
- Cook bacon: Vaporizer slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray. Cook bacon until crisp, chop, then set aside.
- Blow : Sauté the onion, bell pepper and garlic for 5 minutes
- Layer: Place ⅓ of the hash browns in the bottom of the baking dish. Add ⅓ bacon, ⅓ onion, green pepper and ⅓ cheese. Continue layering and finish with cheese.
- To pay: Whisk eggs, milk, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Pour the egg mixture over the ingredients. Cook over low heat for 8 to 10 hours. When finished, the thermometer should read 160 degrees Fahrenheit.
You can easily change this breakfast casserole overnight and feed it different vegetables and proteins to suit your needs! Here are some ideas:
- Protein: I love adding cooked sausage or ham in addition to bacon. It not only adds extra flavor, but I also love the texture.
- Vegetables : You can make this a vegetarian breakfast casserole by removing the bacon and adding red peppers, green peppers, mushrooms, or even sweet potatoes!
How to store leftovers
The rest of the overnight breakfast casserole is the best! I love eating it for lunch or even dinner the next day.
- In the refrigerator: Once cooled, you can store it in the refrigerator in an airtight container. it will last 2-3 days.
- To reheat: You can easily reheat it in the microwave for 1-2 minutes or until piping hot!
Spray slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray. Cook bacon until crisp, chop, then set aside.
Sauté the onion, bell pepper and garlic for 5 minutes
Place ⅓ of the hash browns on the bottom. Add ⅓ bacon, ⅓ onion, green pepper and ⅓ cheese. Continue layering and finish with cheese.
Combine eggs, milk, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Pour over the ingredients. Cook over low heat for 8 to 10 hours. When finished, the thermometer should read 160 degrees Fahrenheit.
Updated September 23, 2022
calories380calories (19%)Carbohydrates5g (2%)Protein24g (48%)Big29g (45%)Saturated fat12g (60%)Polyunsaturated fats4gMonounsaturated fattengtrans fat0.1gCholesterol420mg (140%)Sodium683mg (28%)Potassium305mg (9%)Fiber0.4g (2%)Sugar3g (3%)Vitamin A971UI (19%)Vitamin C16mg (19%)Calcium311mg (31%)The iron2mg (11%)
All nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and is an estimate only. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and serving sizes per household.