To say this is a key game in this Nations League group would be an understatement. If England do not win, they will be relegated to League B, while if Italy lose, they will also risk relegation.
Neither team has been at their best this year. Italy beat Hungary in June but suffered an embarrassing 5-2 loss to Germany in their last game of the summer.
England, meanwhile, have failed to win any of their four Nations League games this summer, drawing with Italy and Germany and losing to Hungary twice – including a terrible 4 defeat. -0 at Molineux. The Three Lions will conclude their Nations League campaign at home against Germany on Tuesday,
With these two games being England’s last before the FIFA World Cup, the Three Lions will be looking to enter the quadrennial competition on a winning note.
Head to head Italy vs England and key figures
- England’s 4-0 loss to Hungary was the worst of Gareth Southgatereigns as manager. His side are now on a four game winless streak, also their worst streak under Southgate.
- Italy’s last four games with England have ended in draws, including last summer’s Euro 2020 final, which the Azzurri won on penalties.
- Italy have never lost a competitive game at home to England, their last encounter coming in a 1998 FIFA World Cup qualifier which ended in a draw . England beat the Azzurri on their own ground, but only in friendly matches.
- Since triumphing at Euro 2020, Italy have won just three of their next 11 games, while England have won five of their next ten games.
- Only two players have scored goals for England in competitive games against Italy since 1990 – Daniel Sturridge and Luke Shaw.
Italy vs England Prediction
Neither team has been in great form heading into this game, but given that Italy have the home advantage, it’s probably safe to call them the favourites.
England have the ability to beat any team on their day, but Italy proved to be something of a bogey for the Three Lions during the last years. With Southgate’s men hoping for a turnaround in fortunes ahead of the World Cup, it’s hard to imagine their resurgence from here.
The prediction is a narrow home win for Italy.
Prediction: Italy 1-0 England
Italy vs England Predictions
Tip 1: Result: Victory for Italy
Tip 2: Game to have less than 2.5 goals – YES (The games between Italy and England are notoriously weak, and they drew in June.)
Tip 3: England won’t score – YES (Italy have kept a clean sheet against England in three of their last five competitive meetings.)